Welcome to the Brooke Dress Project!
A stylish and versatile dress with a soft, fluid drape at the front that flatters your body shape and enhances your style.
In this Project, you’ll learn:
- It is a creative draping technique that creates a variety of different styles by placing a thin strap at the tip of the CF fold and creating a different draped option at the front.
- The technique can be applied to a variety of garments, including skirts, dresses, and tops.
- A sewing pattern will be generated by following and transferring the drape.
- Using two fabrics is optional, and can only be done on separate fabrics or on just one.
- This project covers draping, transferring to sewing patterns, sewing, and finishing instructions.
Brooke Dress Description:
- A knee-length, 2 colored 100% Silk cocktail dress with several drape options,
- Sleeveless, V neck with facing around the neck and armhole,
- Side Pockets
- Visible zipper in the CB,
- Hong Kong seam finishing and French seam finishing,
- Easy to pull on and wear,
- Can be adjusted in different sizes from the armhole/ neckline down,
- Straps attached to the garment that can be worn on top or underneath for different silhouettes.
Technique and Construction
- Creative fold applied to flat muslin,
- Muslin placed on Dress form, drape position determined
- Draping on a stand, marking, and turning into a paper pattern
- Drafting facing pattern and pockets
- The dress is sewn with a single needle straight stitch industrial machine
(You can use different stitching and finishing options)
Fabric and Notions:
Approximately you need 2 to 2 ½” yards of fabric for this project, depending on the length of your choosing and the width of your fabric.
2 and 2 ½” of muslin for draping
15” or 18” zipper
My fabrics are 100% Silk Crepe and Silk Charmeuse, with lightweight Silk Charmeuse bias bindings and facing.
Fabrics that can be used:
Any fabric that has a good drape, meaning it is flowy, hangs and moves in a fluid, body-skimming manner.
Lightweight, mid-weight Crepe, mid-weight Interlock knit or woven, mid-weight viscose or Rayon Jersey ( lightweight might be needed to lined) Mid- weight or Heavy-weight georgette (any fabric that has a nice drape for the similar silhouette), lightweight wool Gabardine (check for the drape), Wool knit or Jersey